We Love The Vidya

What I'm about to say isn't in the least bit scientific:

Everyone I know with autism loves video games.

Granted, it's a small sample size. I even asked this question to an autism group I belong to on Facebook, and was surprised that more people weren't fans of video games. I'm not sure what those folks were into, and I probably should have asked.

I have been a fan of video games for a long, long time. When the Atari 2600 came out, we had one. Once I was in the Navy, I had an original Nintendo Entertainment System, and over the years went through an original PlayStation, Xbox, PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, and now, Xbox One. I have a laptop that I can game on, but it's not particularly powerful, so the bulk of my gaming is done on the Xbox One.

For me, the world of video games is something I can control, you know? I feel like I have some power over what happens. With autism -- and in the "real" world -- I don't always feel like I have control over what is happening. I can get overstimulated in social situations, and find myself retreating inward due to being uncomfortable.

With video games, I can feel free, in a way. Through my onscreen avatar, I have some agency over what happens and how I overcome challenges and obstacles.

I'm sure other folks with autism have discovered ways where they feel in control. I do when I'm working on a book, or some other project involving writing. Same goes for photography. Behind the camera, I guess I don't feel as lost as I do making my way through the world. I can capture the world I see, and manipulate the outcome in a way that I find intriguing, or even beautiful.

Maybe sometime soon I'll ask my autism group what things they do to feel in control of their worlds, and share it on this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Struggle of Eye Contact

When The Light Goes On...

Autism in Love